Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pot Pie Ready?

Hey everyone. I have to say that I am so excited about making this pot pie tonight. I was watching a few cooking shows last night that got me thinking about how else I can put my own twist on this recipe. I sure hope it comes out scrumptious or I am going to be really let down. In my head it is amazing!

I mentioned the other day that I have been eating like crazy & I just can't seem to stop. Well, today was my deadline. I had to go back on the "diet" today. Thursday nights are still going to be new recipe night, but I have to go back on the plan today. When I diet I like to have a cheat day each week. Since I prefer not to blow it out all on one day, I usually just do three meals throughout the week instead. I don't HAVE to do three meals, but I allow for it. This way I don't feel guilty if someone invites me to dinner or there are last minute plans. The goal is to eat better overall & develop a better eating plan for life. Not just a quick fix.

That being said, I ate my oatmeal this morning with blueberries & had my coffee. I have a spinach salad for lunch with mushrooms & homemade dressing so that I can control the calories/fat. I have chicken, a banana, & my new friend...Edamame.


Yes, I realize that edamame is not a new food, but it is new to me. I am one of those picky eaters that has never liked new things. Well, the other night I was feeling bold (that has been happening a lot lately) & since my friend ordered some at dinner I decided to give it a try. After all, it was served with sea salt & I LOVE salt. How bad could it be? All in all I would say it is pretty tasteless. LOL I can handle tasteless. I bought some at Walmart last night (they don't have it fresh & the produce MANAGER didn't even know what it was), so I had to look in the frozen section. I heated it up in the microwave & the kids loved it too. I felt like I was eating salt which is like a treat for me. Yum!

A serving is 1/2 cup which was VERY filling. If Brandon & Allyson wouldn't have helped me, I wouldn't have been able to finish. There are only 100 calories, 8 grams of protein, 3g of fat, & 4g of fiber. Very healthy. Plus, according to a friend of ours, women that are "middle aged" really need the benefits of soy products. Yes, he called us middle aged. It is okay though because we are never going to let him live it down. Picking on him about this comment was our pleasure for the evening. Poor guy.

It seems that over the last two weeks I have been doing a lot of emotional eating. Justifying why I should be allowed to eat whatever I want. Reasons like, I am sad, mad, bored, I deserve it, etc. However, I think my biggest problems lately with food has been at work. It is easy to snack all day if I am not quite as busy. So, I grabbed a couple of packs of my current favorite gum & hopefully that is going to help. Maybe I won't think about dumping food into my mouth if I am already chewing on some yummy gum!


I have always been one of those people that can't take time for themselves. Over the last few months I have gotten slightly better with this but I still have a ton of work to do. Instead of justifying the eating bad, I need to justify why I deserve to be healthier. In the past I have used the excuse that healthy food is too expensive, I don't have the time to prepare the meals in advance, I don't have time to exercise, it will take time away from the kids, etc. The list goes on & on. I am sure many of you have done the same thing. This is all a bunch of lies!

Eating healthy isn't really that much more expensive. We have to shop a little smarter but it is still certainly cheaper than eating in a restaurant or getting fast food. The kids really like helping me prepare my meals twice a week & it helps to get them excited about eating right too. A double whammy here. They also like exercising with me so taking a family walk on the loop or on the beach will include them & I don't have to take time away from them. So, I am pretty much running out of excuses.

I do need to do more than just walking a little & this is where I have struggled the most. Finding the time. Most days I have an hour between jobs & when I am not working....I don't want to be working out. LOL I have 100 other things that need to be done & I like to enjoy the kids every now & then. So, I have committed to starting out with a small home plan first. Going back & forth to a gym is not realistic right now because that will burn 30-40 minutes alone. Here is my question for those of you that have tried both of these programs, or know someone that has.... The 30 Day Shred or P90X? Does anyone have an extra copy of one or both of these that they do not need & can send to me? I would be happy to pay for the shipping.

After this past two weeks of eating horribly, I am ready to get started. Please pray that the Lord will help me make this an important part of my life & a focus for me. I am weak in this area & I can't do it alone. I have tried & I have failed miserably over & over again. One thing that I have never done until this morning, is seek the Lord's help. This is a time in my life that I can do anything that I want, take time for myself, be selfish, & enjoy ME. I need to embrace that & live it to the fullest. Again, I am getting better. I am a work in progress.

I will post again this evening after our very delicious Chicken Pot Pie dinner. I can hardly wait. Please leave a comment & let us all know if you are making this recipe tonight with us. :)

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Edemame. I could eat such on a daily basis. Cannot wait to hear how the Pot Pie comes out

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's on the 6th week of p90x and it's amazing the differences it has already made. He feels great and looks fantastic!
    that's my suggestion...wish we had an extra copy :(

    ReplyDelete